title

La Famiglia Itri

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Oh Boy

So when Todd and I were not even engaged, but very close to it, we were already talking about baby names. We picked out a name for our first girl- Lila. It is the name of my grandmother, whom I love and adore and admire. Plus it is a beautiful name. I can just picture this little girl with her hands behind her back, twisting back and forth, with her head down but her eyes peeking up at you answering "Lila Itri" when someone asks her name. A cute little shy gal with the perfect name.

Unfortunately, with boys we aren't so lucky. Although yes, we have been married 1 week shy of 3 years and have no kids to actually have to worry about this, we have discussed many, many times boy names. We cannot agree. EVER!!! It is awful. Todd really likes traditional names like James or John or Nick (after his dad). I personally don't have specific favorites, but I would like to choose a name that is a little less traditional. It is made additionally hard by the fact I can't even give you an example- I guess I don't really like boy names in general, so who knows what will happen when we actually have to pick one.

However, Todd has recently set his heart on Joe. He has also decided that Lila's middle name is Glenna. You see, Lila is my grandmother and Glenna was Todd's. They both have similar life-stories and were wonderful role-models as far as faithfulness in church goes. I wouldn't mind it so much if it didn't cause alliteration, but the two "uh"s so close together are not so pretty in my opinion. But back to Joe. Glenna's husband (and therefore Todd's grandfather)was Joe. And Lila's husband was Dorian. So we played around with the idea of Lila Glenna and Joe Dorian, after our grandparents. (My other set of grandparents already have grandchildren named after them, and Todd's other grandparents- well, while we love them we aren't so hot on their names. I know, I apologize if that seems extremely rude.....) But to make up for it, I am not totally sold on Joe, either. In general I would never consider it. But as a family name.... maybe.

3 comments:

stephanie itri said...

we had the same problem with boy names. Girls we are set and have been since we dated. It took FOREVER to get Reagan named and I was shocked when he went for it. I love Lila, I'm with you on Glenna not going with that though. Good luck with that. And Joe? I also agree with you. Not such a great name, and he really wasn't a great person, I know that doesnt mean he doesnt deserve it but... your argument should be J Dee. His name is already Joseph. Go with that!

stephanie itri said...

oh and what happened to Chase? Rob gave up bugging me about that one because he thought you guys were going for it? Boys names are hard. They always have nicknames it seems and Rob is worried they sound too "mormon" as he says. So do your conversations about names mean anything is happening soon???? jk, its none of our business :)

Riley and Nicole said...

agreeing on names is hard! it seems like every name i came up with, riley would say "i knew a kid in high school with that name and i hated him/her". after years of hearing him repeat this, we finally agreed on 2 girl names: max layla and morgan cambria, & 2 boy names: gavin scott and desmond richard (both boy middle names are after our fathers). 2 of the names came from Beatles songs, can you guess which ones?