title

La Famiglia Itri

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Brian's Dance Moves

The first week I came out to Philly Todd's Parents were out of town. So we were lucky enough to take care of my brother-in-law, Brian who is down syndrome. He goes to this great school for adults with disabilities and he lovingly refers to it as his "college" since all his brothers graduated high school and went to college. Todd's mom wrote everything out that I needed to know and went over it with me, and also wrote important events on their calendar to help as well. On Tuesday night Brian's school was putting on a dinner event where all the classes had put together a program of singing and dancing. He was way excited to go, and had been talking about it for weeks. We got out the door a little late, I was a little frazzled about getting there, and of course hit monumental traffic on the way. When we finally pulled into his school a few minutes late, there was a whole car in the parking lot. Yup. Just one. I was so confused. It hadn't even crossed my mind that this event would be anywhere besides the school. So I poked around, and finally found someone who worked there-I think a janitor. But he didn't know anything about it. He called his supervisor, and he also had heard nothing about it, and mentioned that if it was to be held at the school he probably would have been notified to help out with it.

So I am beyond confused and frustrated and scared. I don't want to ruin Brian's special night. Not knowing what else to do, I offer to take Brian out to eat as consolation. He says he would like to go out to eat, and we just need to go back to his school at night instead of morning. That the program is at 10:00 at night. He says it over and over, that we have to go back at night, at 10:00. I feel so bad. So we get him chicken nuggets and and a JBC at Wendy's (he loves both bacon and chicken nuggets), and I pick him up a chocolate donut on the way home. Still feeling awful.

When we get back, I look at the paper Margie had written for me, and see there, plain as day "Tuesday night, CADES program 6:00 p.m. at Springfield Country Club." HELLO. I realize that instead of trying to make it up to Brian by taking him out to eat, maybe I should have come home and actually CHECKED THE PAPER. That is how confused I was. I literally had not considered that this could have been anywhere else and must have just missed that when Margie mentioned it as she went over the paper with me. Later I realized she had also written Springfield Country Club on the calendar as well. I never checked to see where this was because I had assumed! A lady had left a message on the phone to remind us of the time the day before, so I knew I had the date and time- I didn't think I needed to check the paper for anything. Yeah well I learned my lesson!

It is almost 8:00. It has to be over, right? I called Todd and asked if he thought I should try to make it there for the end. He didn't seem to think there would be much to catch. So I looked up the phone number for the country club and asked if they were still there. The lady said it looked like they had just literally finished up the singing/dancing program. So I crammed Lila back into her carseat, chased Brian into the car, and manically drove to the club.

Well, Brian of course had missed the dancing, but we hung around for a good 45 minutes of visiting with the people he knows from his school. And he got a free shirt! But he kept saying that he "missed it." Yes, now I am feeling even worse. So I asked one of the program directors if they were going to do their dances for anything else, maybe at school? And she said that she thought that would be a great idea, and she would talk to some other people about maybe putting the program on for the actual school they have for disabled children still school-aged. I think she knew that I was upset and Brian was disappointed.

So, yesterday we went to Brian's school at 10 a.m. They were having a talent show. And Brian got a solo. Instead of doing the whole program, Brian got to do the dance all by himself for the other kids in the adult program as part of the talent show. I promised him that I would video record it for him so he could see it, and he got excited about the idea of having it posted on the internet too. How could I say no after all the stupidness I had done? Of course I can do that for him. Love ya Brian! I'm sorry! Hope you like your video!



1 comment:

Melissa said...

I love it!! I am pretty impressed with your video editing skills by the way. I miss you guys like crazy!