title

La Famiglia Itri

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Lila's Singing Abilities

I have seen some video shots of little kids singing pretty amazing. Totally on key, belting things out, knowing every word. Well, Lila sure isn't one of those kids. But her singing makes me no less than giddy with joy.

One of my almost favorite traditions is singing to her before she goes to bed. It might be my favorite if I wasn't so tired by that point, and if she would hold still. Even a little. But besides that, it's always a good time. We used to have these long banters about who's turn it is to choose a song. She didn't really seem to get the concept. After a while we got into a habit similar to this:

Me: It's your turn to choose a song Lila. What should I sing?
Lila: No, it's your turn to pick.
Me: Ok. What song should I pick?
Lila: How 'bout.... The Jesus Song

Or she would pick some other song that she likes. Now when I sit down and first ask her what song she wants she just says "You pick the [insert name] song." Up until about four days ago it was always the Savior song. But now she has started with the Mermaid song. That's Part of Your World from the Little Mermaid. I try to sing mostly Primary songs and a few hymns, but sometimes we throw in another one too.

The thing that prompted this post was Sacrament meeting today. We sang I Am a Child of God as our opening hymn. Since I have sung it several times, I asked Lila if she would sing with us. She said yes but didn't really sing anything. Finally, the third and final time through the chorus, she chimed in. Leaving out a few words here and there, she was singing loudly and a little off key, but following the ups and downs pretty well and getting all the words that she actually sang right. The sister sitting behind us was laughing at how cute she is. Then she also tried to sing with us during the Sacrament Hymn, but I was laughing so hard at her jibberish and complete random choice of notes that I had to ask her to be quiet so it wouldn't take away from the spirit of the sacrament. Don't worry, I was gentle about it and made sure she didn't feel like she was in trouble.

Tonight after singing the Mermaid song and a few from Jake and the Neverland Pirates, I told Lila to pick some church songs. I don't think she knows that the ones we usually sing are church songs, so she started picking ones from nursery. If You Chance to Meet a Frown and Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam. She was singing along pretty well with those too.

I just love hearing her sing. Music has always been very important to me and been able to touch me in ways words just can't. I hope her enthusiasm for singing will translate to a love of music as she grows. I love when we watch Music and the Spoken Word on Sunday mornings and she recognizes some of her bedtime songs. It is just so fun.

No comments: