title

La Famiglia Itri

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

She's Three

It was a little hard to put Lila to bed on Monday night. I knew when she woke up I could never call her my little 2-year old again. She has been so wonderful and I love to watch her grow but I also love to savor her being little. Recently it has gotten fairly difficult for me to pick her up and haul her around, and that makes me sad too. But alas, time doesn't stop, and neither does the growth of kids. So, since Todd had to work a 12-hour shift on her birthday, we documented the day quite well. Please enjoy.

Lila woke up late, which I guess was her birthday present to me! I heard her stir a little and then call for me so I jumped out of bed, hopped into her room and said "Good morning birthday girl!" She was still a little tired and shy, but picked up a toy that she has really only played with once before and told me it was his birthday too. I think she called him a squirrel. But I told her it was a chipmunk, so she said "It's the chick-munks birday too!"And carrie him with her out of bed.



For breakfast, she got her favorite cereal, marshmallow cereal. In this case it was actually Lucky Charms, but she doesn't care what brand it is! She was really concerned that her chickmunk couldn't sit up by himself, so I got a jar for him to lean on. She even shared her birthday cereal with him. The best part is, on her last bowl she got to pick out all the marshmallows and leave the rest of the cereal without getting in trouble, because it was her birthday.





After breakfast, we got ready for the day. She doesn't really like it when I curl her hair, but she just looks so stinkin' cute when I do. So I bribed her by letting her watch Jake and the Neverland Pirates while I did it.



Then just before we headed out the door we snapped a few birthday girl pics. Her skirt is really cute so it's too bad we had her coat on. But she is adorable anyway.



Then we went to the party store to get some balloons! Lila had a lot of fun at the balloon bins picking out what shades of pink and purple she wanted. And she also got one blue one. Then we picked out a special birthday mylar balloon for her. She was loving every minute of it!


After that we came home and planned to play together for a while before her birthday lunch, but one of Lila's friends accidentally let her daddy take her carseat to work! Oh no! So we raced to my parents to borrow theirs and then went and picked up our friends. A few others also came to meet us at..... Chick-fil-A!!! I wasn't going to do a birthday party for Lila just because I didn't want to have to plan it and do all the work that goes along with it. So we just invited her friends to come eat and play with us at Chick-fil-A for lunch, and asked them to buy lunch instead of bringing gifts. It was quite a fun time.













Probably Lila's favorite part was her free ice cream cone! She got to go behind the counter and swirl it herself! (Except that the employee pushed the handle and mommy actually moved the cone, but she was holding it so it counts!) Her face when they gave her the cone was just priceless.







When most of the kids were in the playplace playing and Lila came out by herself, I thought it would be a good time to have Lila pick a balloon and cupcake to give to each of the kids. I had asked her earlier if she would let her friends pick what balloon they wanted, and she said no. She wanted to pick for them. While I tried to pick a time when the other kids were distracted, it only took about 4.3 seconds for the other kids to see that balloons and cupcakes were take out, and soon I was swarmed. So sorry about the lack of pictures. Most of the kids were gracious in accepting their balloons. One girl cried that she didn't get the heart balloon, but of course Lila got to keep that one as the birthday girl. One of Lila's friends brought his older brother, who requested the blue balloon. Lila had already given him purple, so she said no. He asked again a little later, and she said no again. But only about a minute later, she tried to grab the balloons and said "Mommy, Tristan wants the blue balloon!" And traded him back. I was so proud of her.

When we got home, she played with the few toys that kids brought (some people were kind enough to bring gifts even though we said they didn't have to.) It was fun when she opened one of them and gasped and said "A stethoscope!" I'm so proud of our little Nurses' daughter. She wanted to blow dry her hair during the picture. And the hat was handmade by my friend! It is way cute.



I had to take a few pictures of this present that the hat came in. When we were in Philadelphia for the holidays, we watched a bunch of old home videos of everyone's birthday's. They laughed at how they always had newspapers and store bags as their wrapping paper, and Todd tried to tell me that we had to wrap all of Lila's presents in newspapers. He said something about how it was good enough for them, so she would love it too. Well, I hate touching newspapers, and I love making pretty presents. So the answer to that comment was simply "ha ha." But I guess he got a little of what he wished for.



Then we sat down and each ate a cupcake. I took a few pictures to show the party favors we gave out to Lila's friends.












Then Lila was a little jealous that I was taking all the pictures and asked to take a few of me. Pretty impressive I think. Though I did have to clean off smudges from the lens when she was done with it.



After that I was feeling tired from a full day of cupcake making on Monday and all the festivities thus far. But I didn't want to ignore my birthday girl, so we decided to watch a movie together. She picked Aladdin. This was the first time she has seen it all the way through. It was a nice recharge for me and she enjoyed it. I was sat at first because she wouldn't come cuddle with me, but later she did come over so we could snuggle and watch together.






At the end of the movie, Lila wanted to take a few more pictures. I just can't say no to the birthday girl! She got a few shots of me playing dead, among other things.









Then we decided to play with some play-doh. I had to return my mom's van to her house (that's how we were able to give some of our friends a ride earlier), and the play-doh belonged there too. So we had one last hurrah before given the clay back. Lila used some scissors she got with her stethoscope to cut it. I made her the numbers 1, 2 and 3 since she was three years old. She loved that, and wanted to make some of her own. So we ended up with a bunch of yellow 1's and one 3 she asked me to make for her. 





On the way home from her party, Lila had said she also wanted to give a balloon to Grandma. So before we went to her house I asked Lila if she still wanted to do that. She picked out a balloon for grandma, and said she also wanted to give her a cupcake. She is so sweet! My parent's were watching my little sister's basketball game, so they weren't home when we came to drop the stuff off. So Lila drew a picture for them and I wrote a note.



By the time Lila's stalling got us home it was 6:58. We were having pasta for dinner which wouldn't take long to cook, plus we were going to stay up late waiting for Todd to come home for cake and presents. But then I realized I was supposed to be at the church at 7:00. Our bishop had asked ward council members to meet on Tuesday nights and visit people in the ward, just to show that we care about them and think about them. This was the first time we would be doing it, and I almost forgot! Lila had just eaten a banana, so I asked her if she wanted to go to my meeting or eat dinner, and she said she wanted to go to the meeting. I almost took a picture of her in the church just to document it, but I thought that would be kind of weird. Luckily, I was able to go out with someone from the relief society who had a kid with a poopy diaper. So she ran home and changed a diaper while I ran home and defrosted the pasta sauce (since we make ours homemade but don't have the stuff for proper canning we just freeze it). I also got the water in the pot so it would all be ready to go. We went out and visited with a sister in our ward, and came home and started dinner. Lila loves pasta! Todd got home before dinner was done, so we all ate together. I also took a few pictures of Lila being excited to see daddy and their happy birthday hug. Oh, and Todd finished off the chocolate milk Lila got at Chick-fil-A, so she was sad. He got out the Hershey's syrup and made her some more in the little jug. She really liked that.









Then it was present time! Lila was very excited. Todd has the video on his phone, so we'll see if I ever get around to posting it. But here are a few pictures. She was so excited to open them I had a hard time getting her to pose pretty for a picture beforehand.










She got nail polish, a microphone, a pink hat, a wooden pizza set, a shopping cart, and cardboard boxes for her to pretend to go grocery shopping with. She has already played with everything except the nail polish.

After that we sang to her. When she saw me getting out the candles to put in her cupcakes, she did the same thing she did when she got a strike in bowling a few weeks ago. She froze, gasped and stood there staring with her mouth gaping open. It was so cute. Again, most of this footage is on video. I am sad that I didn't get a picture with the three cupcakes in front of her, a candle in each. It took her a few attempts to blow them out, but we let her struggle until she got them. Then she said "Thank you for singing momma and dadda." It was so cute. 





As you can imagine, it was difficult to get Lila to bed after this. Which is funny, because before opening presents she said she wanted to go to sleep. She and I laid in my bed and watched an episode of Music and the Spoken Word, then I stayed with her until she fell asleep. I was glad it ended that way. I loved spending the day celebrating my pretty lady, and was glad we could keep it going until the very end.

3 comments:

stephanie itri said...

Such a sweetheart! Happy birthday Lila! We wanted to face time you but silly Aunt Stephanie didn't figure out how to do it calling mommy's email like she did with us before. Reagan kept reminding me to call you for your birthday but then Jensen was asleep and the day just flew! I'm sorry!!! Looks like you had a super fun day!!!

Melissa said...

What a cutie!

Darren said...

Love all the pictures from her birthday :)