title

La Famiglia Itri

Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Dishes

Why are dishes so awful? Why do they pile up so high? How come they start to stink so fast? What makes the food stick so much to dishes that even procrastinating a little makes it seem as if they have become one? Why does it seem to take longer to clean up the dishes than cooking and eating combined? How did my mom convince me to use a food net catcher thingy over the drain to protect my garbage disposal? Isn't that why we have garbage disposals? So why do I do it anyway? Did you know I saw on the news once that the kitchen sink has the most germs on it? (compared to toilet flushers, playgrounds, doorknobs, cell phones, and a myriad of other everyday things).

Despite all this, I still feel a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment when that sink is empty, the sink disinfected, and the dishwasher humming. I think I get some kind of pleasure out of doing such an awful task because I do it so well. Yes, I scrub each dish until it looks clean before putting it in the dishwasher, and most of the time I would rathe handwash the items that didn't fit in one load so I can officially empty the sink. I guess I probably go a bit overboard. But gosh dangit my dishes are sparkling and it's all because of me!

No comments: