title

La Famiglia Itri

Friday, September 16, 2011

Root Canal and Fruit for Breakfast

Yes. I am the unlucky one. I thought I was taking good care of my teeth. I had a cavity filled right before I got married. I had done well since then, no new cavities to be filled. But at my last cleaning in January, I found out it had cracked. My dentist fixed it the same week Lila was born. It was sore for a while, then the pain would wax and wane. It was worst when I would eat. But I just had a new baby, then I started back at work so I ignored it until my new cleaning. Yup. Infected. Root canal. My dentist said some teeth can't handle having too much work done on them. This particular cavity had been difficult, I remember both times, different dentists getting that "hmmm. how should I go at this?" face and the appointments taking extra long.

So yesterday I had my root canal. One of the roots would't stop making pus, so it was hard for my dentist to dry it in order to fill it. Yummy huh? Aren't you glad I'm going in to such detail? Anyway, I am lucky he was eventually able to dry it because if he couldn't he would have had to leave it open to drain and I would have had to come back later to get it filled. So he was able to fill it, but said it would probably hurt a lot as my tooth tried to make more pus and pushed against the filling. Well, he was right. I had Top Ramen for dinner with the noodles all broken into little pieces so I could swallow without chewing. Whenever I accidentally touched my teeth together, it caused sharp, stabbing pain. Some ibuprofen every 6 hours didn't quite take that away.

So this morning I knew I would starve unless I got something to eat that was chew-less. So I loaded Lila into the stroller, and walked to jamba juice. It is only about 8 blocks there, some good exercise, and of course Lila loved it since she got to be outside. Then when we got home I fed her some bananas. And she went for it! I think she finally decided she really liked them. She did eat them one other time in the evening, but this was the 5th attempt, so she is 2 for 5 on bananas. I think she is doing a lot better in general about eating. I think at first maybe she just didn't want anything other than milk. The spoon and the new flavors were a bit much for her. But now she is slowly getting used to it and I think she likes it more and more. So we had a nice morning with fruit for breakfast!

3 comments:

Banana said...

Blah! No fun!

Melissa said...

Not fun at all!

Megan said...

Agreed.