title

La Famiglia Itri

Saturday, May 31, 2014

Goodbye, Grandpa Johnson

Several weeks ago Todd's grandpa passed away. Although he has been homebound for quite a while, his actual passing came very quickly. We were glad to be able to participate in the services held in his honor. Todd's mom and oldest brother were able to fly out from Philadelphia as well, so it was nice to have a few of us there to commemorate his life. Also, since he was a navy veteran Lila learned what an American Flag is and has been pointing out "Merican" Flags everywhere we go.

Remembering Rene M. Johnson:

After the flag was presented to Pearl, his wife

Margie and sons

Lila with Great-Grandma Pearl

One thing that of course was expected but still frustrating was Lila running away across the cemetery. There was a nice little area with a stream and a path with a pergola along it, lined with fake rocks to hold urns. Someone had put up several of these pinwheels, and when I tried to get this one back from her she ran all the way back to the family. I know these three pictures are basically the same, but she has such precious facial expressions in all of them.





Unfortunately, I never felt like I got to know Grandpa Johnson very well. But I do know that he and his wife raised a wonderful daughter who became the mother of my husband. It was clear he was a very good, hardworking man. I am grateful to have such wonderful ancestry in my family and that I could be a part it. 

No comments: