title

La Famiglia Itri

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Pulled Over

I feel really bad about contributing to a sad situation. I borrowed my parent's van on Monday to move some big stuff. I noticed that their registration was expired. The date on it was 12/13. I figured they just must have forgotten to put the sticker on. I was going to mention it to them. But then I didn't.

Well, my aunt Laurine is in town so has been driving this extra, expired car. She got pulled over. And I was wrong, the registration hadn't been kept up. That's what happens when a postcard never comes and you rarely drive a car. Remember how Todd got pulled over last year since we didn't put our sticker on? Those pesky things.

Luckily, she was let off with a warning since she's from out of town and it wasn't her car. My mom mentioned that it is kind of lucky because in only a few weeks the registration would be 90 days overdue and being pulled over would mean being impounded. Eek!

Last night we all drove down to Santaquin for my grandpa's 85th birthday party. On the way down I was told the story of Aunt Laurine and the policeman. Of course, my parents are very responsible so as soon as they figured out that they were overdue my dad took the car in to be inspected and renewed the registration. The paper was on the back window to prove it. I felt really bad I hadn't said something earlier. Then Laurine could have been spared a frightening incident.

Funny thing is, I drove the van home that night, and guess what?! Pulling onto the freeway the cop behind me started flashing his lights. I think it was the first time in my life that I wasn't freaking out getting pulled over. (I mean, it was the first time ever being pulled over.) The cop just came up and said he hadn't seen the paper registration in the window. He did ask if I had the sticker, but I explained that my it was my parent's car and they had just renewed it since they don't drive it very often. And off I went!

Later my brother texted me asking if the cop gave me a ticket. That made it even better. He had seen me stuck on the side of the road! I was glad to pique the Darnica's interest in what was going on with me at that moment. I was glad to report it was all just a mistake!

As a side note, when the cop left Lila asked why that guy was in the road. She is so observant.

1 comment:

DFabes said...

A ticket would have stunk, we were worried!